And so in an effort to take some of the heat off the Cubs and their 0-2 playoff start, the Sox are keeping it real by going 0-2 right along with them... brothers in arms. A collective 0-4... Chicago against the rest of the baseball world.
The city was spinning faster than the Milky Way when it realized both teams had October baseball in their future. And now? Everyone is being flung off and landing in a heaps of "wait until next year" piles all throughout the Chicagoland area. There are still a few strong ones hanging on, but their grip is weakening.
The table is set, the guests have arrived and are being seated and the bird is coming out of the oven. Everyone is hoping for another appetizer or two before serving the cooked bird.
The way I see it, the Sox can't buy a hit when they need one. Even if they were given the chance to toss the ball up to themselves and hit it and the Rays had their shoelaces tied together they (the Sox) would still manage to strike out or pop it up and leave runners stranded. I can hear the knife being sharpened in the kitchen, but they should be able to keep that bird from coming to the table and being carved as the Sox play well at home. How they play road vs. home is like night and day. I know what I said in my last post about thinking the Sox would give a better showing in game 2... I think things would have been better it they left the wire hoop bats at home and brought some real lumber with them. Oh wait... they weren't swinging anyway. Obviously, if you don't hit, as in stringing a few hits together... and more than once per game at that... it decreases your chances of scoring runs. Let's face it, you kinda need runs to have any chance of winning and more specifically more (runs) than the other team.
The Cubs are donating their playoffs to the Dodgers through a series of walks and errors. I can't honestly say how the Cubs look playing, I've only watched an inning or two of their series, but from what I've read, it sounds like they're playing scared, but like I said, I can't speak first hand about that. I suspect the Cub fans might be hanging on to that Milky Way spin by their north side pinkies. Some may in fact be smelling the bird as they whirl around. But I think they would be willing to wait on getting it served to them.
You can't bow out in the first round being the team with the best record in the NL to the NL team with the lowest winning percentage among all playoff teams. Those rascal Cubs, that's what they are on the verge of. You are supposed to win at home... that's not to say that you can't win on the road, but the whole point of having home field advantage is to give the better team an added advantage. You work hard during the season and get rewarded by getting home field advantage and the Cubs have literally given that away. As a Cub fan, you better hope that they can win on the road because if they don't, you'll have to wait until opening day to step into the shrine that is Wrigley.
Chicago baseball fans have endured some of the worst baseball in the history of the game. Not only do we have a handful of World Series appearances... there's even less victories. We have had not one, but two separate teams delivering them to us. Unlike many other cities that have only one. You would think that the law of averages would catch up and the baseball demons (I'd have said gods, but gods are too forgiving to have such bad baseball year after year) would throw Chicago a bone once every ten years or so. Something so that each generation can say I remember when... Since 1903 the start of the modern WS... the Cubs have won the NL pennant 10 times emerging with only 2 WS wins. The Sox 6 times the AL pennant winners and 3 WS wins. Pathetic indeed given that's only 5 World Series wins for the city in 105 years. Or do you prefer 210 years given that there are two teams? Five WS wins is 1/5 the total of the Yankees... they have 26.
No wonder we freak out like prom bound school girls any time our baseball teams are playing in October.
I will probably tune in to an inning or two tonight to check in and see if the road to failure will be completed on the road or they wait until they come home so the Cub fans can rejoice in the great season with the crash ending. Someone might want to check and make sure Lou is heavily sedated tonight.
1 comment:
Another good post! I just can't wait to see what the outcome of this afternoon's game will be....Let's root root root for the White Sox, if they don't win it's a shame......and yet another year can end up down the proverbil swirl that we call a toilet. But wait we still have a chance.....today will tell! Besides, I look forward to more blog posts RE: Baseball!!! :)
Luv, Mom
Post a Comment