Okay so am I the only one that finds this a bit... umm... funny?
So yesterday, Emmah and I spent the entire day at the hospital... she needed two scans... just two, but that somehow managed to work itself into an all day affair. We arrived @ 8:30am and didn't sit down in the car to leave until 5:40pm. Anyway, that makes for a long day and one where you can become mighty hungry just waiting around.
That's not the funny part...
So when the end was in sight, Emmah had a request for dinner... LJS... Long John Silver's. Or as she put it, "Mmmmm Long John Silver's chicken." So the deal was made and Emmah agreed that she would eat at least three pieces of chicken and the other kids were told that LJS was for dinner... there was much rejoicing.
That's not the funny part...
It rained all day yesterday and I mean it rained quite a bit, enough to have some very large puddles... minor flooding in some places. So driving home kinda was less than enjoyable especially since I needed to stop at the bank... aside from that, I at some point managed to get stuck behind someone driving 35 the entire way home... well not exactly all the way home, he didn't turn into my driveway. As you can imagine it made for making a long drive home even longer.
There's nothing funny about that either...
Back to the bank for a second... the bank (a newly opened citibank) is only five minutes, at best, down 95th street... on the way home, that is to say we pass it every time we go to and from the hospital. We need to make a stop... okay, no problem. It's not exactly clear to me how to get to the bank. It appears, to me, that the street along side of it is one way... not my way naturally. So I go around the block, only to be stopped by the metra train... there's a station right there too. So I wait the train out and for all the commuters/cars... cross the tracks and head in what I think is the right direction. I come across a street that is one way in, but there's a steady line of cars coming out. So I move on to the next street, at last, the citibank is in sight... BUT... I'm in a cul de sac. No sign to indicate that I was turning into a cul de sac... maybe its' cuz pouring out and I don't see it. Okay, so I turn around to go back and decide to push my way down that one-way street. Let's just say that the next couple of minutes was like being in the twilight zone. There are signs telling my that I can turn this way after 2pm, but not that way and I can't go that way either... twas bizarre since all the signage was aimed at drivers turning in the way I turned in but all the traffic is coming at me. Get me outta here... So I decide to start over and head on back the way I came in via going over the tracks. Guess what, I got stuck by another commuter and had to wait again. So that will tell ya, if you know anything about the commuter schedule at rush hour, that I wasted about ten minutes to just get stuck by another train... and still no closer to making the deposit. Okay, I finally get to the bank only to find that there's no drive through... so it's out into the pouring rain.
While some of you might find that amusing... that's not the funny part either.
After working around all these obstacles, we finally manage to point the van in the direction of home. It's along this route that we manage to get behind Speed Racer. After much sighing and finger tapping we're finally getting into the home stretch, and around speedy, and we need to stop at LJS first and bring dinner home. Only problem is that Emmah needs to use the bathroom, as do I, so I decide to stop home first to take care of biz and just drop Emmah off.
That's not the funny part either...
Okay... for those of you who stuck with it here, this is the funny part. So I go to LJS and place our order, I request it made fresh. As I'm waiting, I can't help it look around and notice things... just passing the time ya know? Anyway, I'm struck by this strange bit of irony or whatever you want to call it. On the counter of LJS... a fish place... is a small aquarium. In it are two goldfish swimming around... I had several thoughts that crossed my mind and wanted to ask the clerk "hey, wasn't this full of fish earlier in the day?" or "are these guys the back up in case the delivery truck didn't make it?". It kind of reminded me of something out of the farside... you know two gold fish swimming around in a small aquarium, on the counter of a fast-food fish place... though a good caption for it is escapes me. Must be from having to sit all day waiting around that's turned my brain to mush.
That was the funny part...
Like I said, it was a long day yesterday...
No comments:
Post a Comment